These are the infamously amazing rice crispy treats with peanut butter that I had for my most recent birthday party!
We combined two recipes for a perfect dessert.
Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats
Makes 16 two-inch bars
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chopped bittersweet (70%) chocolate (We used dark organic chocolate chips.)
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal (Barbara's Bakery Crisp Brown Rice Cereal is perfect.)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet (70%) chocolate (We used dark organic chocolate chips.)
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional; we omit.)
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky salt (such as Maldon) (optional; we omit.)
- Line an 8x8 square pan with a sling of parchment paper. In a large saucepan, bring the maple and rice syrups to a rolling boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon (be careful not to let it boil over). Remove from the heat and stir in the nut butter and 1/4 cup chocolate until everything is smooth and the chocolate is melted. Fold in the rice cereal and pack the mixture firmly and evenly into the lined pan (damp fingers can help here).
- In a small saucepan (or the same big one, if you've scraped it clean), melt the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate and 2 tablespoons coconut oil together over very low heat, stirring constantly just until melted (be careful not to scorch the chocolate). Pour the chocolate mixture over the rice mixture, spreading it smooth. (Optional: Sprinkle the nuts and flaky salt over the top.)
- Let the bars set in the refrigerator (about 1 hour) until firm. Lift the parchment with bars on top out of the pan and cut into 16 squares.